At the end of last year we ran out of fire starter and no one had them in the stores so I remembered the fire starter I saw on Martha’s site and improved on them.

First I gather all my stuff. I used Raffia to tie the bundles I bought it at Hobby Lobby and used a 40% coupon so I don’t feel bad about burning it up.

I save my dryer lint to add a little bit more burnablity LOL I don’t think that’s a real word.

Hubby used a little axe and some donated wood (Thanks Browns)

I find rolling it up this way I don’t have the problem of the paper splitting at the mid fold. If you look close I put a bit of dryer lint on the newspaper.

I just start working it up in a loose fan motion I don’t roll it.

It’s just a back and forth sort of motion.

Then I twist and twist when it’s tight fold it into a U keep the ends close.

Now twist the two sides together it will hold after all the twisting.

I build on Martha’s inspiration and lay the newspaper link bundle on a piece of raffia, I add 3 sticks of wood and tie a knot.

I wrap it well, sometimes even one or two individual wraps around each stick. I toss them in the basket and I’m done.

I don’t watch the starting as well as hubby so I stuck two in the fireplace put in two logs started it and walked away.

I had a nice warm fire before long with no trouble.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 53 other followers

%d bloggers like this: